Third Review of the National Gene Technology Scheme
The Third Review of the National Gene Technology Scheme was conducted by Commonwealth, state and territory officials on behalf of all Australian governments. It was assisted by an independent Expert Advisory Panel.
Implementation of the 27 review recommendations is underway. Please see the National Gene Technology Scheme for more information.
2011 Review of the Gene Technology Act 2000
In 2011, the Allen Consulting Group conducted a review of the Act on behalf of the Gene Technology Ministerial Council.
The review concluded that the Act is working well and that:
- “The Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) is operating in an effective and efficient manner.”
- “The OGTR is providing a rigorous, highly transparent regulatory system.”
The Gene Technology Amendment Act 2015 implemented minor and technical recommendations from the 2011 Review.
2006 Statutory Review of the Gene Technology Act 2000
An independent panel appointed by the Gene Technology Ministerial Council conducted a review of the Act and the intergovernmental Gene Technology Agreement 2001 in 2006.
The review found that the Act and the national regulatory scheme had worked well in the 5 years following introduction, and that no major changes were required.
2016-2019 Technical Review of the Gene Technology Regulations 2001
The Gene Technology Regulator conducted a technical review of the Gene Technology Regulations 2001 to:
- clarify the regulatory status of organisms developed using a range of new technologies
- ensure that the new technologies are regulated in a manner commensurate with the risks they pose.
The Regulator prepared a Decision Regulation Impact Statement to support the Legislative and Governance Forum on Gene Technology’s consideration of the proposed amendments to the Regulations.
The review led to The Gene Technology Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019.
2008-11 Review of the Gene Technology Regulations 2001
In 2008, the Gene Technology Regulator initiated a review of the Regulations. This was in response to:
- suggestions from regulated organisations
- the operational experience of the OGTR.
This review led to the Gene Technology Amendment Regulations 2011.