The Act establishes GTECCC to provide advice on the request of the Gene Technology Regulator (the Regulator) or the Legislative and Governance Forum on Gene Technology on a number of matters, including:
- ethical issues relating to gene technology;
- the need for policy principles, policy guidelines, codes of practice and technical and procedural guidelines in relation to genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and genetically modified (GM) products, and the content of such principles, guidelines and codes;
- community consultation in respect of the process for applications for licences covering dealings that involve the intentional release of a GMO into the environment;
- risk communication matters in relation to dealings that involve the intentional release of a GMO into the environment; and
- matters of general concern in relation to GMOs or matters identified by the Regulator in relation to applications made under the Gene Technology Act 2000 (the Act)
GTECCC comprises up to 12 members appointed by the Commonwealth Minister responsible for gene technology, following consultation with the Regulator, State/Territory Ministers and appropriate scientific, consumer, health, environmental and industry organisations.
Members must have skills or experience in relevant fields including community consultation, risk communication, ethics, law and environmental issues. GTECCC must also include a person who is a member of the Gene Technology Technical Advisory Committee (GTTAC)
and a person who is a member of the Australian Health Ethics Committee
PDF 326 KB
DOCX 3442 KB
Members of GTECCC are subject to strict disclosure of interest provisions which are contained in the Gene Technology Regulations 2001 (the Regulations). The Regulations also describe the way in which matters are to be resolved by the Committee, reporting requirements, and procedures for convening meetings of the Committee.
GTECCC commenced on 1 January 2008 following amendments to the Act in June 2007and replaced the former Gene Technology Community Consultative Committee (GTCCC) and the Gene Technology Ethics Committee (GTEC).
GTECCC 2015-2018 group photo
Left to Right
Front row: Frances Shapter, Vaughan Monamy, Judith Jones (GTECCC Chair), Robert Sward, Rachel Nowak, Emma Thomas, Hugh Roberts
Back row: Gregory Pike, Meg Parkinson, Vidya Jagadish (GTECCC Secretary), Raj Bhula (Gene Technology Regulator), Paula Fitzgerald, Gabrielle O’Sullivan
Content within this section