1. This chapter describes the parameters within which potential risks to the health and safety of people or the environment posed by the proposed release are assessed (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Parameters used to establish the risk assessment context
2. The risk assessment context is developed within the framework of the Gene Technology Act 2000 (the Act) and Gene Technology Regulations 2001 (the Regulations, Section 2), the Risk Analysis Framework, and operational policies and guidelines available at the OGTR website.
3. In addition, establishing the risk assessment context for this application includes
- the proposed dealings (Section 3)
- the parent organism (Section 4)
- the genetically modified organisms (GMOs), nature and effect of the genetic modification (Section 5)
- the receiving environment (Section 6)
- previous releases of these or other GMOs relevant to this application (Section 7).